Selling your estate jewelry can be a great way to make some extra cash. Many people don’t even realize that they have pieces of jewelry stashing in the back of their closet, dresser, or even in the attic and these pieces can come with a hefty price tag if you were to go out and buy them.
What is Estate Jewelry?
Estate jewelry is any kind of jewelry that was made before 1978. Anything made after this time are considered modern pieces and you will not be guaranteed the same market value as your older pieces.
What to look for:
If you already have a large collection of jewelry it can be difficult to know what is actually worth something, so before buying anything look at what you are selling, how much good condition it is in and how much similar pieces sell for. Be sure that this piece is actually worth anything!
Finding items to sell:
It can be difficult to know where you can find items to sell but there are some places where everything from antiques to designer handbags will end up being sold.
This is where a lot of items will end up at and you can often find reasonably priced items. Like any store they may be a little beaten up or scuffed but they are still in overall good condition.
Another option is to visit Craig’s List and search your area for an interesting item that has been put on the market. Often someone has purchased an item online then wants to sell it and it can be a good way to get something that is not in perfect condition, but also not full price either. Anyone is allowed to post an ad so check around your city or even your neighbor’s city as they may have something similar.
A very popular place to sell things like jewelry is at a local jewelry exchange. Often these organizations have stores or showrooms where people can visit and shop for deals and if you can find one in your area that is a good way to sell items.
Estate jewelry understands all of the market values:
The most important thing with estate jewelry is that you understand the market value of each piece so that you will know the asking price that you should make. You can find market value online through various places or sometimes even local flea markets will have a certain value listed on their items and that is a good place to start.
Jewelry and estate jewelry has always been in high demand and people will always need new pieces. Selling old estate jewelry can be a great way to help fund your next purchase!
Tips to Sell estate jewelry:
1) Know the value of your estate jewelry by looking it up online. You can find market values and ask prices for your jewelry by researching it on the internet or in the local paper.
2) When you have found a piece of estate jewelry that you want to sell go to an antique shop or even a local scrap yard that deals with recycled items since this is often where they will end up being sold. This is also a good place to find consignment stores that deal in used items.
3) The next step is to take your item and offer it to an auction house. There are many different kinds of auctions and some will take old items (usually modern pieces) while others will only sell newer pieces.
4) If you are looking to get a good price for your item it may be a good idea to go through an auction house since they have the experience and will likely get you a better value then selling it off on your own.
5) You can also sell your items online through Craigslist, eBay or even Etsy. This is a good way to show people what you have and what you want for it but be careful as there are scams that work these sites and make off with the money.
It may take some time to get rid of your pieces but the money is usually well worth it. You can make more then enough to cover your expenses and then some so if you can find the right buyer, place and price there is no reason why you shouldn’t be able to sell estate jewelry.